Wednesday, October 27, 2010

CHOUCROUTE GARNIE VIA THE PROVIDENCE JOURNAL

Last week, Projo featured an Alsatian choucroute garnie using the recipe of Ellen Brown, original food editor for USA Today and a Providence resident. I admit to not knowing USA Today had/has a food editor but never mind, this dinner is simple enough and well worth your house smelling like an Alsace restaurant for a few days. Choucroute garnie is a robust, unglamorous, hearty dinner cooked in a pot, combining pork butt (or hock) and sausages with sauerkraut, onions and carrots. It's served on a platter along with steamed potatoes and mustard.  If you want to be properly French (or German) drink beer or maybe a Riesling wine but for me pinot noir works too.

The article is worth reading for historic background and preparation tips by Ellen Brown.



I followed the directions exactly except I used a ham hock (which was in my freezer and the main reason I paid attention to the recipe in the first place) and I put it in the pot whole, cutting the meat after cooking. To get the sweet taste of sauerkraut and not a strong pickled flavor, you need to follow Ellen Brown's rinsing directions. And, next time I plan to add more kielbasa and sauerkraut. The recipe says it serves 8 to 10 but if I were serving ten persons I would double it; better to be safe.


Printer ready directions:

No comments:

Post a Comment